mustangbooks.com

How I converted my rear indicators

mustangbooks.com


This is how the car looked when I bought it. The rear lights were combined tail-light, brake-light and indicator, which is standard but not strictly legal in the UK!.
 

At first I had little Mini indicators fitted under the bumper.
 

Close-up view.

Then I decided I would prefer the indicators to be higher up...
 

...So first, I bought these second-hand lenses via a contact on the "Vintage Mustang Forum" and cleaned them up...
 

...then I set about cutting one lens off each set with a hacksaw blade. Here you can see the amber lenses that I had bought from a fellow MOCGB member (who made them himself).
 

I glued the amber lens in place with Araldite.
 

The metal bezels are stuck on with silicone RTV sealant.
 

For some reason the tail light buckets had been sprayed gold inside...
 

...so I resprayed them silver.
 

I bolted on the indicator mounting plates (from the Mini units I had fitted before), and fabricated an aluminium divider. This is stuck in place with more RTV sealant.
 

Here I was about to test the first set of lights.
 

The completed left-hand assembly. Note the new rubber seal.
 

It fits! and it looks pretty good, I think.
 

The right-hand components, ready to assemble...
 

...right-hand side successfully assembled.
 

Testing in progress.
 

The finished article.
 

Night-time view of hazard lights.
 

Back to my '69 Mustang